Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 23:56:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

As Marc Ramirez wrote:

> Off the top of my head:
>
> 			Nouns
>
> 		English		German
> nom-sng		the heart	der Knopf
> nom-plu		the hearts	die Knopfen
					die Knöpfe
> acc-sng		the heart	den Knopf
> acc-plu		the hearts	die Knopfen
					die Knöpfe
> dat-sng		the heart	dem Knopf
> dat-plu		the hearts	den Knopfen
					den Knöpfen
> gen-sng		the heart's	des Knopfes
> gen-plu		the hearts'	der Knopfen
					der Knöpfe

Ya'know, we're proud of our umlauts. ;-)

> Once I was in a bar in Germany and I got into an argument with some
> real-live Germans about the gender of Apfelmuss (it's neuter, btw. :).

It's neutral?  Nope, it's actually maskulinum. :)

(Both are valid.)

> 			Verbs
>
> English has four forms for weak verbs (walk, walks, walked, walking) while

The worst English has in this field is that its irregular verbs are
being used in about 50 % of all verbs (my rough estimation).

German is only slightly better, it's also proud of a long list of
irregular verbs.

--
cheers, J"org