Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:12:27 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Neal Downe <nd11@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: identd

Neal Downe wrote:

> I use some servers that require I send valid ident responses.  The problem
> is that because the ident is an incoming TCP connection and I'm NAT'ing
> multiple machines to the same public IP, there's no way that I can think of
> to pass the request through my gateway (3.2-RELEASE) to the machine the
> ident is intended for.

	There is voluminous information about this in the archives.

> Is the ident daemon in /etc/inetd.conf what I'm looking for?

	Assuming you are using an up to date 3.x-Stable, yes.

> I'd have to have inetd running to use an identd, right?

	No, but it's highly recommended.

> What are the security risks involved with running an identd?

	None if it's configured properly. The built in identd in recent versions
of -Stable is well written and very likely to be risk free. No one can
gurantee your system's security 100%, if they do they are lying to you.

Good luck,

Doug