Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:49:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device naming convention

[redirected]

> Questions:
> 1. What are wd0[a-h] used for?

These are interfaces to the partitions of the first FreeBSD slice.

> 2. If wd0s1 is my first slice, why isn't it named wd0s0?

Slice 0 is used for some special purpose. I cannot recall exactly which
right now, but ISTR it was either (1) a reference to the first FreeBSD
slice, regardless of which slot it is in, or (2) a reference to a
dedicated disk.

> 3. If I format wd0s2 as any type (Xenix for example),
>    will /dev now contain wd0s2[a-h]?

No. You need to use the MAKEDEV script.

> 4. If I want to use /dev/wd0s2 as a raw slice for reading
>    and writing, what are the steps to follow?

Use it as you would any file.

> 4a. Do I need to format the partition as any type? If so
>     is there a recommended type (perhaps one which won't
>     be recognised by the bootloader would be preferable)?

A number of references to slice types can be found on the net.

> 4b. Should I then be using /dev/rwd0s2 or /dev/rwd0s2a
>     for reading and writing (of course, this is assuming
>     block i/o of multiples of 512 bytes)?

/dev/rwd0s2

> Lastly, where else could I have found this information other
> than asking on the FreeBSD mailing list?

www.freebsd.org
   or
The Complete FreeBSD (shipped with FreeBSD)

Also, -hackers and -fs are probably not the right lists for this.

Marius