Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:46:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael A. Bushkov" <bushman@rsu.ru>
Cc:        os@rsu.ru
Subject:   Re: dynamically linked root and nscd

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Michael A. Bushkov wrote:

> We've read some messages from "Making a dynamically-linked root", but
> we're still not sure if these things would be done or not. Will next
> versions of FreeBSD have a dynamically linked root?

It sounds like 5.2 and future versions will support building the system
with a dynamically linked root; it's not clear to me that the decision on
whether to default to a dynamically linked root has been made yet (it
sounded like the jury was out on detailed performance measurements, etc).

> And another questions: are you interested in developing nscd (Caching
> daemon) analog for FreeBSD? If you are, we have an ability to develop
> it.

I think the answer is that, regardless of whether the default is dynamic
or not, there's still interest in a caching daemon for nsswitch, since it
will provide a way to do easy centralized caching and management, as well
as allow more functionality for those who choose not to link the system
dynamically.  If you have the resources and interest to create such a
thing, I encourage you to do so :-).  A useful starting exercise would be
to look at any existing implementations (especially Berkeley-licensed
ones) and see whether they could be used verbatim, how they could be
improved on, etc.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories