Date:      16 Dec 1998 10:33:58 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Imran Aslam <imran@orangenet.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DES to MD5

Imran Aslam <imran@orangenet.co.uk> writes:
> I need to know if there is an easy way to convert the Linux password
> file, which I believe is encrypted in DES format to the MD5 format
> that FreeBSD uses...

1) No, it's not possible. If it were possible, it would also be
   possible to crack all the passwords on your system, and you
   wouldn't want that, would you?

2) FreeBSD supports DES passwords just fine, if you install the DES
   libraries (the installation utility will ask you whether or not you
   want to install them), but FreeBSD password files have a few more
   fields than Linux password files. See the passwd(5) man page.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no