Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:55:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lukas Ruf <lpruf@stud.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: changing shell of root after installation

On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 09:35:15AM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> Having read your book "The Complete FreeBSD" (good done !)

Thank you.  After that, I suppose I *have* to answer this question :-)

> there remains two question to me (up to now): After complete
> installation and having worked with FreeBSD v2.2.1 for couple of
> weeks I would like to change the root shell from csh to bash.  Where
> do I have to change something. I've not found the place where to
> alter the shell.

There are two possibilities: you can use vipw (described in the second
edition, which will appear Real Soon Now), or you can use chsh.

I'd like to say "RTFM", but to my horror I see that the man page for
chsh doesn't tell you how to use it :-( It's really a link to chpass,
and so is the man page, and it *will* tell you how to do what you want
with chpass, but the quick answer is: just run it.  Unlike the
classical chsh, it will start your favourite editor and give you a
list of all parameters from /etc/passwd which you can change.  Change
the parameters, exit from the editor, and it will change it for you if
everything is OK.

> And 2nd: how can I add the possibility of having the
> directory contents listed in colors according there attributes (you
> announced this feature in your book, but I could not find the location
> where to specify the colors)...

Oh, did I?  That was rash.

First, of course, you need a terminal which can display colour.  A
well-kept secret is that the standard xterm will display in colour if
you set the TERM variable to xterm-color.

Next, you need colorls, which is in the Ports Collection or on the
CD-ROM.

Finally, you need to tell colorls to display in colour.  Do that with
the -G option:

  $ colorls -lG /

Greg