Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:33:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        kirk_noonan@bigfoot.com (Kirk Noonan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Volume Full???

[Your message was all on one line. Outlook strikes again. Find the
carriage return, change the settings on Outlook, or better, don't use
Outlook.]

Kirk Noonan wrote,
> Dear Mr. Friendly Newbie-Helper,
>     I keep getting a message that my "/" volume aka /dev/wd0s2a is full. As a matter of fact, it is at an amazing 109% of capacity. My swap volume always shows 200 MB of free space, and the other volumes (/usr /var ...) also have plenty of empty space. What and, more importantly, where should I look to find the things which are filling it? I have looked through the /temp directory, and there isn't that much there. I started getting the messages after compiling a lot of programs is there an output directory or something?

You mean /tmp, not /temp, right?

Have you been only logging in as root and filling up root's home
directory with all of this compiling you are doing (~root is on /)?

Those are the most frequent problems. Also, how much space did you
allocate for the / partition?