Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "J. Weatherbee - Chief Systems Engineer" <root@acromail.ml.org>, "J. Weatherbee" <jamil@acromail.ml.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD floppy disk driver does not work...

I'm not an idiot. I wouldn't report a problem unless I had methodically
determined the likely source of the problem, this has been going on for
months and yes I would say I have tried at least 40 different disks, they
weren't from the same manufacturer, in the same box, or in the same
environment exposed to heavy electromagnetic radiation, i didn't leave
them in the sun --- I'm telling you that I will bet 50 pesos  this is
either a buggy piece of motherboard hardware (micron) or more likely a
buggy driver
(as other operating systems [for example linux] do not have this problem)
I also have a duplicate installation on my home machine and the floppy
works fine [i.e. the floppy driver is doing something wierd], it is a
different motherboard. So the overall conclusion is that for some reason
the floppy driver is doing something (probably some optimization) causing
it to fail. I am not the only person to have this problem i ran into
someone on #freebsd that said that when he went for 2.1 to 2.2 some of his
machines floppy drives stopped working --- yes I have also looked at the
parameters in the kernel and played with them accordingly --- What info
do I need to figure out this problem?