Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:07:47 +0000
From:      Alexandre Labarre <alexandre_ml@outlook.fr>
Subject:   FreeBSD update from sources : single user mode useless to installword?

Hi,

I am using 11/Stable on a server built a few month ago, and I checked the h=
andbook to verify steps https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
I noticed that there is no mention about booting into single user mode to e=
xecute =AB # make installworld =BB.

Is it not necessary anymore and all steps can be safely done from multi use=
r mode, or this is a mistake and steps has not changed?

In /usr/src/Makefile steps are:
# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree=
).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENER=
IC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENER=
IC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt=
).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -=
F).
#  9.  `make delete-old'
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymo=
re)

Thank you for your clarification.
Alexandre