Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 97 09:04:38 -0800
From:      "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:44:28 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>So we picked poor names for our branches.  We blew it.

	Bah, defecation occurs. :-)  And it hasn't been a *big* problem,
but one that should be addressed as the product matures.

[snip]

>	a) Would the confusion caused by an abrupt name change
>	   exceed the confusion caused by the current conventions?

	No.  As someone pointed out, the people who need to know are
either here (on the lists) already, or could easily reached with a
prominent www page.  Also, assuming that FreeBSD has a long, healthy life,
making the change now flattens the learning curve over time (assuming that
a change is needed, and I believe it is).

>	b) Assuming that the answer to (a) is no and now you've got
>	   carte blanche to change things, what names would you choose
>	   to describe the 3 tracks of development

	I think that perhaps the wrong approach is being considered.
First of all, if there is any renaming to be done, the -current tag has to
be discarded.  When I first started learning about FreeBSD, it seemed to
me that -current would be the branch I wanted to use because it was the
most up to date.  I found out later that -current really *means*
experimental.  Here is what I would like to see, with the caveat that I
have absolutely no idea how it would look in a CVS tree. :-)

For the next three months:

2.1.x -Stable
	Keep this branch as up to date as possible with security and major
bug fixes, but put a warning in the readme's that plans should be made to
upgrade to 2.2.

2.2.x -Release
	Always the last one that went out the door, maintaining the same
quality standards we have for -Release versions now, but not guaranteed
stable.

2.2.x -Development
	The latest and greatest 2.2 code.  Run at your own risk, but
probably safe.

3.x -Experimental
	Big red warning labels all over the box, just like it is now.

Assuming that 2.2 proves itself, in three months this migrates to:

2.1.x -Frozen
	So long, thanks for the memories, but this code is no longer being
developed, and will go away in 3 months.  (So 6 months from the date the
naming scheme goes into effect, no more 2.1 branch.)

2.2.x -Stable
	Maintains the quality standards we have for -Stable now, with some
structure in place to see that security and major bug fixes are
backported.

2.2.x -Release and -Development, same as above.

3.x -Experimental (also same as above).

	This minimized the time period that people have to spend trying to
support 3 trees (the argument about volunteers spreading their own
precious time thinly is well taken) to a reasonable period, and gives 2.2
the agreed upon time to prove itself.

Hope this helps,

Doug