Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:20:00 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@pit.databus.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route pointing to a gateway that's not on net

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:42:39PM +0100, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> You already mentioned that adding the -iface route to 10.* in combination
> with a default route to your gateway worked for everything except 207.172.3.*.

Actually, I don't think that's what he wrote.  Rather, that net is an
example of not being able to reach anything via the default.

The problem is that the link to the ISP is ethernet but is not being
used as a subnet, as an ethernet conventionally is.

I would make up an address for the default router that's on your subnet,
declare that to be the default route, and put a permanent entry into
the arp table with the gateway's actual mac address.  That ought to work.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.