Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:04:02 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
Cc:        mike ndabarasa <freebsd@nur.ac.rw>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a more philosophical question !!!

Stacy Millions wrote:
> mike ndabarasa wrote:
>

>>here is my question:
>>how does one get something usefull from such a box ? do we
>>need a shell login to work with it(at www.mysql.com i saw
>>they suppose you are working from a shell login)? or can we
>>querry it with a particular program(let say access!) from a
>>Win*&^s  box in a networked environment?
>
> I guess it is time I stop using RTFM and change to RTFHP (what do
> you think sounds better HP for Home Page or WP for Web Page? :-)

That would make the original name for PHP, PWP. I don't know. Has
a somewhat different ring to it ;).

> Any way, if you go to TFHP at
> http://www.mysql.com/downloads/contrib.html you will find a list
> of client software as well as APIs (so you can write applications
> that access the database). Some are windows based.

I would suggest adding ODBC, if it's not already included. Can't
remember <g>. It's your best chance, if at least you consider
M$ Access a necessity to usefulness. Personally it made me look up
oxymoron in dict(1), but that's me ;).

There's also phpMyAdmin which clients of mine made me install. Might
want to look into it, it's a port.

Roelof