Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:14:44 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > Sure.  Doesn't help though.  8(  Allocating IRQ 11 to the pcic actually
> > seems harmless; we still get card insertion/removal interrupts, so it
> > must be working.
>
> OK, so that's not it.  (Although it was on Brian Handy's TP560).

Hmm.  Maybe his *does* have something uncivilised on the high
interrupt?  It'd be nice to have a generic probe-time
test-for-an-interrupt function, along the lines of what the sio(4)
driver does to test the interrupt function of the 8250.

> > Unfortunately I just get the dreaded "driver allocation failed for ..."
> > messages, where I didn't before.
>
> Umm, if you're using IRQ 11, then I suspect your 3c589 card can't use it
> for itself.  Do you have your configuration hard-coded to use IRQ 11?
> (I do, since I can't get it to work anywhere else for some silly
> reason.)

Sorry, I will clarify.  There are two interrupts that I make available
for PCCARDs, 9 and 10.  These are declared in /etc/pccard.conf, and are
not used by anything else in the system.

Older kernels allocate IRQ 3 to the pcic, and the newer top-down code
allocates IRQ 11.  Both of these seem to work, insofar as card
insertion/removal events are signalled as expected.

> > The kernel that works predates your hiding of the "interrupt
> > configuration" messages, if that's any help.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.

I was just trying to give you a "feel" for the vintage of working
kernel.  I'm just cvsupping the 2.2.5 tag monster; once that's finished
I'll be building a batch of kernels to see where things fell down.

> Also note that I've made other changes recently
> which shouldn't make things any worse, but should make suspend/resume
> better in the default case.  (More coming, I just did a code review and
> want to try out some more 'new' changes on my laptop to see if they make
> things better/worse.)

Qool.  If there's anything I can help with testing, let me know.

mike