Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:48:53 +0000
From:      "Yaroslav Terletsky" <ts@polynet.lviv.ua>
To:        FreeBSD.Questions@polynet.lviv.ua
Cc:        Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
Subject:   Asus SP97-V built in video

>> Does XFree86 work with the onboard VGA on this motherboard?  It uses the
>> SiS 5598 chipset.  What X server do I use?
>
>Just forget about it.  That board uses actually uses system ram for
>video ram.  If I belive correctly, FBSD will use all the RAM and so
>X will not have any of the system ram to use a video RAM.  That
>board is something I would stay away from with a 10ft poll.
>
>Stefan

I have P55-SA (all-in-one) motherboard with onboard SIS 6205 Shared memory VGA
controller which can use 1/2M of system's RAM, so FreeBSD just uses the rest.
I've managed to run XFree86 (standard SVGA server) on 1024x768 and below.
I don't remember what was the XFree86 version, but a half of a year ago it
was the newest (where they have done a support for SIS 6205 seems to me).
Your SiS 5598 probably has support also, just check it out, if so, you will
be able to get from your hardware all you can.

PS I think anyway you can run X Windows, the question is what modes you will be
able to have, so be ready to play with your config file. I even had to set some
different (close to mentioned in Monitor's manual) sync values to get high
resolution modes.
# Yaroslav Terletsky #  State University "Lvivska Poytechnika"  #
# ts@polynet.lviv.ua #   UNIX System and Network Administrator  #
# Freedom is the possibility to say that two by two equals four #