Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:49:11 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UML Tool for FreeBSD

G'day,

> > Hello,
> >
> > - Desperately need a tool / software for FreeBSD that allows me to draw UML
> > diagrams.
> > - I also need that tool to be easy to install like with pkg_add or some simple
> > ./configure script
> >
> > Looking forward to your feedback.
> >
> > danny
> >
> I have no idea what a UML drawing is, but take a look here to see if
> you spot a port that may help. You might check under CAD programs
> first:

for those that don't know, UML is 'Unified Modelling Language' - a
analysis/design methodology developed by a few 'gurus' in OO (Booch,
Rumbaugh & Jacobson). Have a look around 'www.rational.com'. While on
that, Danny, I've not tried it, but you could see about configuring WINE
on your machine (check the Handbook, I think - you need to modify your
kernel and add "options USER_LDT") and try running Rational Rose under
Wine.

I've not tried it, as I didn't progress far enough in the subject last
semester to actually start using RR (read I pulled out before I was
failed ;'). I remember seeing something once about a Linux version maybe
coming, perhaps you can dig around to see if that is the case too? ;')

hth,

haxxa