Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:29:56 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A "feature request", maybe...?

#define quoting(Joe Greco)
// I was wondering if anyone else thought this is an interesting idea.
//
// I'd like, in some instances, to be able to avoid the default UNIX IP
// behaviour of grabbing the "closest interface" address when connecting
// to a remote host with TCP (or UDP for that matter).  There are some
// times when I know a better address to use, but would rather not have
// to modify lots and lots of userland code to specifically do a bind()
// of the socket to the particular address that I'd really like to use.
// The source isn't always available.  :-(
//
// How hard would it be to add a sysctl that "changed" any normally-
// INADDR_ANY socket to instead to bind to some specified IP address?

Yes, yes, yes !!!

// I can see some potential uses on things like firewalls, too...

And machines acting both as router and server, in which you'd like to
always use the internal IP address.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro