Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 00:19:07 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:
> [make vs tsort]
> >The advantage of make is that you could do a 'make -j12 boot' style thing
>
> There's no reason why you can't automatically build a makefile from
> a list of dependencies embedded in the scripts.  The script to do this
> would be very similar to the script used to generate the input to tsort.
>
> I think the concept of allowing arbitrary `run level' names with
> arbitrary dependencies is more important than whether it is implemented
> using tsort(1) or make(1) to resolve the dependencies.

Agreed.  What external programs are called in the process is immaterial;
as usual in the UNIX world we have an embarrassment of riches.  ;^)

So, let's define some baseline wishes here, then discuss how one might
go about implementing them.  I'll try to list what I've seen here so
far.

o The ability to start and stop individual subsystems, and start/stop
  all dependent subsystems.

o The ability to specify some sort of alternate configuration name on
  system startup, for instance to move between an ethernet and PPP
  configuration.

o The ability to add a package into the system configuration without
  editing existing scripts; each package configuration file should be
  standalone and self-contained.

Did I hit the high points?

I really think this is doable, if we can figure out what it is that
we're trying to do.  So far, Robert Withrow's proposal with each
script providing a standard set of shell functions is looking pretty
promising.