Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:14:09 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Bruce Pea <pea@andrewpea.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:37:21AM -0500, Bruce Pea wrote:
> --On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:33 PM -0400 Steve Hovey
> >
> >I now block ip's with no reverse dns
>
> We are doing this as well. We get a fair number of complaints from people
> who's mail doesn't get delivered but we tell them to fix their DNS so we
> know someone isn't trying to spoof us. So far, 23 out of 25 organizations
> complaining have fixed their DNS.

This isn't a reverse DNS issue.  This is the connecting host with an
IP address in a range ISP's have decided is "dynamically assigned".
This IP address range is then blocked from connecting on port 25. I
believe the FreeBSD mail servers use reverse DNS to help control spam
and I'm OK with that.  I have resolvable DNSs but am being blocked
because my IP is in Roadrunners 24. network.

--
Regards,
Doug