Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:41:23 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        WSNAdmin@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing

> First, I would like to say thank you to all involved in the FreeBSD project.
>  I think it is a wonderful means for learning.

Thank you!

> I am installing from floppies (ok, so I'm taking the hard way) and I
> installed the /bin and /man files,  how would I later install the /src
> binaries from a DOS floppy.  I read something about the build is organized so
> that one can install other parts of the system (except for the src files)
> from an NFS mount.  I would hate to have to re-install again.  It seems, by
> reading the literature, that I can make or build the binaries....or are they
> already compiled and all I have to do is install.

Easiest way - get the files by FTP (or copy them off the CD if you
have one) and then run the install.sh script, eg

# cd /some/where/with/lots/of/room
# cp /cdrom/dists/src/* .
# ./install.sh

If you really must use DOS floppies, the easiest way is to install the
mtools package and then copy the files onto disk, eg

# cd /some/where/with/lots/of/room
(Insert floppy)
# mcopy a:* .
(Insert next floppy)