Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 2015 02:44:07 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        HeTak <hetakcoder@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debug Howto

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 2:24 AM, HeTak <hetakcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org> wrote:
>

> > > On 25 Jul 2015, at 10:54, HeTak <hetakcoder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have recently started some developments on FreeBSD net section.
> > Great!
> >
> =E2=80=8BThank you Kristof, b
> oth for your fast answering and your welcome.=E2=80=8B :)
>

> > > But I am kinda new to this field. My base interest is to first
> > understand the
> > > implementation structure via tracing the code and so.
> > >
> > > I have three major questions:
> > > 1-  how to debug changes made to FreeBSD kernel?
> > > (You know, till some levels, I can even use uprintf or so, but, for
> > example
> > > inside radix.c (where I wanna understand how a route is checked to be
> > > unique and then inserted to the tree) I can't do such checks..)
> > dtrace can be quite useful to understand flows. You can grab stack trac=
es
> > (i.e. figure out where things are called from), get function arguments,=
 =E2=80=A6

> > > 2- are there standards there for freebsd kernel developments of which=
> > can
> > > follow so my job gets a bit simplified?
> > > (Any development guides or so?I prospect it to be some differences
> > between
> > > system developments and normal coding, but I don't have an idea on ho=
> > > get that).
> > There=E2=80=99s style(9) for coding style.
> > I=E2=80=99d also recommend "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBS=
> Operating
> > System=E2=80=9D
> > (the second edition).

Perhaps , the following books may also be useful :

https://www.nostarch.com/abs_bsd2.htm
( Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd Edition )

There is also a book by Michael W. Lucas about ZFS .

https://www.nostarch.com/rootkits.htm
( Designing BSD Rootkits )

https://www.nostarch.com/bsddrivers.htm
( FreeBSD Device Drivers )