Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:59:51 +0200
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaled filesystem in CURRENT

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Yes, soft updates does nothing of user data, it is a metadata
> technology.  Journalling is implementation dependent; not all
> JFS implementations will journal data which is not metadata, so
> your results would depend on the JFS.

I think you are not correct here. If I understand Kirks paper right,
Soft Updates do a sorting/nesting of data and metadata within the
buffer cache. My knowledge is, that most of the journaling
implementations do metadata journaling and do not guarantee data
consistency (ext3 with data=journal is the only exception I know of),
whereas SU *does* guarantee data consistency (admittedly with a time
lag) because of that nesting from data with metadata.

I'm far away from beeing able to follow this discussion in every detail,
but please correct me if I'm wrong...
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)