Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:31:17 +0100
From:      Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: armv6eb broken?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:34:17 -0600
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2013, at 2:37 AM, Andrew Turner wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 15:12:01 -0700
> > Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It seems that 'make tinderbox' is still broken for armv6eb, citing
> >> missing __sync_fetch_and_add_4 referenced in librt.so.  I have no
> >> idea on how to fix this though :-/
> >
> > My opinion is we should remove the armv6eb target. It was
> > unsupported by llvm & clang the last time I looked, and, as far as
> > I can tell, we have no boards that use it.
>
> Then what's triggering it? Just the tinderbox? If it is just the
> tinderbox, let's remove it from there, but keep it in the rest of the
> tree, since there's some tricky bits I did to make it compile in the
> first place... Just because clang/llvm don't support it doesn't mean
> we should actively remove the support from the rest of the system.
> External tool chains do.

My plan was to commit something like [1]. It removes armv6eb from
tinderbox and from being able to be built, but allows it to be brought
back in the unlikely event someone wishes to support it.

I have yet to find anyone who uses big-endian on ARMv6 and later. Even
on Linux, where they have the kernel code to support it, there were no
configs with it enabled the last time I looked.

Andrew

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~andrew/rm_armv6eb.diff