Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:28:22 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        wes@softweyr.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disapointing security architecture

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>Subject: Re: disapointing security architecture
>Sender: wes@softweyr.com
>To: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
>
>Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>> >My suggestion for FreeBSD would be to steal half of the disk direct
>> >blocks in the disk inode for ACL information.

>you don't have to reserve the space if the file type isn't "file with
>ACL."
This makes the offset->disk block code messier since NDADDR becomes
dependent on di_flags.

> you need ACLs on device files too,
I thought the block addresses in device files were unused.

> and it becomes very expensive to add an ACL to
>a file after the fact,
Agreed.

>> IMHO, stealing an extra inode (or disk block) only for files that need
>> ACLs would be preferable (especially if ACL sharing is implemented).
>
>I agree, but I'm not sure how you would express the ACL sharing idea to
>the user.

I suspect that in most cases, an ACL will be inherited from a `default
ACL' associated with a directory - in which case you just re-use the
directory's ACL.  I wouldn't expect an exhaustive search - maybe a
small cache to catch adding ACLs to a whole bunch of files in one go.

Peter