Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:18:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD for the masses?

BUS - The BSD User group Sweden - have lately discussed ways of popularizing
*BSD here. The question is we (I?) are not sure on how to approach this subject
in the best possible way.

A short recap of our mailing-list sums up as follows:

How is it that we don't see more ads about *BSD? (We know it is the better
alternative)

What would the recipients reaction be?
  A couple of scenarios:
        1. People don't give a toss.
        2. People get a CD and fail installing it. Exit the *BSD arena for
           good.
        3. People get a CD and make a successful install. Now what? What do we
           'feed' them with to make them stick to *BSD?

'People' above is probably not the general public? Or is it? Are there enough '
technically inclined' persons around to make a wide advertisement campaign
worth the money?

www.raditex.se has loads of CD's ready for distribution. Likely receivers are
magazines, schools, local municipality &c.  Does anyone on this list have
experience with this? What constitues a 'successful' target and what is a dead
end?

It appears that Reader's Columns in mags are somewhat successful in attracting
attention. Of course the mags must be of a techie style for this to work. (Am I
wrong here?)

I've been trying to get national magazines to include a FreeBSD CD, but I have
not had any reaction from them at all (via mail). One rag had a Corel Linux CD
the other week, so they should be interested. Or do they simply jump the
linux bandwaggon? ("nothing succeeds like success")

Or even had thoughts about doing it?

It might be dangerous to declare the FreeBSD superiority and stepping on The
Penguins toes, for example? Saying that FreeBSD is better that windows is also
a bit of a hot potato (...yes, we know it is, but accostumed unix users are
more likely to appreciate uptimes and TCP/IP-intricacies than the average
point-and-click user...)?

Of course advertisments do not have to flame other OS'es - this is perhaps the
best way.

Do we have substantiated claims to present?

(How much fact does www.unix-vs-nt.org actually contain?)

'nuff scribblings from me. Tips and tricks of the trade are most welcome!

/Micke
No need to cc me. I'm on this list.

PS. Who am I? A mere happy user. I run some hardware labs and a FreeBSD
server and am trying hard to get FreeBSD on the clients too. Background in DOS
and OS/2. Specially interested in - among other special interests -  how to make
FreeBSD attractive, for schools for example.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.4