Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:09:17 +0500
From:      lyman@ycc.Kodak.COM (Ralph Lyman)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems running a ahc 2940 with a 100Mhz pentium?

Hello,
	I have just upgraded my processor from a 75Mhz pentium to a 100Mhz
pentium (it was given to me). That is the only change in the system. The
rest of the system consists of...

ASUS P54SP4 motherboard W/ latest bios (1.06 I think)
32 Meg of 70ns ram.
ahc 2940 controller
Number 9 GXE pro video card W/2 Meg
one Seagate ST31230 1 gig drive (Dos & Win NT)
one Seagate ST42400 2 gig drive. (FreeBSD is on this one)
Toshiba 3501b CD-rom drive.

The slices are.
25 Meg /
30 Meg /var
64Meg swap
~1 gig /usr

Running at 75 MHZ it ran fine running 2.1-Release and 2.2-current.
When I put the 100MHZ part in and change the jumpers on the motherboard I get

sd1(ahc0:1:0):ILLEGAL REQUEST info?:2028cf asc:20,0 Invalid command operation code sks:c0,0

Sometimes the info?: is 1f60cf.

This is in both 2.1-release and 2.2-current.
This happens only once in a while and load does not seem to matter.
If I let the system just sit there it happens. I have built the kernel with
the debugger in it and break in the sd_sense_handler() function so I can
trace the error it happens after an interrupt. I don't have the traces with me
now so I can't show them but they seems to come from different places (idle,
vmsync, ...). I have also been able to dump the scsi command that seems to
be the problem and it is always an extended write (WRITE_BIG).

Can anyone point me in a direction to look for this?
Like I said it does not seem to affect the system but I would like to fix
this. It has been a long time since I have looked at scsi code so I am
having fun.

Ralph Lyman.

| Ralph D. Lyman                        | (W) (716) 726-6210  |
| Eastman Kodak Co.                     |                     |
| 901 Elmgrove Road                     |                     |
| 2/5/EP MC: 35400                      |                     |
| Rochester, N.Y. 14653-5400            | lyman@ycc.kodak.com |