Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:53:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>] natd coexisting with rpc.statd+nfs

On 5 Jan 2000, Allan Strand wrote:

>  >I'm exploring different LAN configurations and one possibility
>  >requires a firewall (running natd/ipfw to connect the LAN to a
>  >semi-protected network) to also act as an NFS server to a couple of
>  >machines on the LAN.
>
>  >I can see that this might present security problems, yet I am curious
>  >as to its general feasibility.
>
>  >I've tried to set it up, but have run into a situation where rpc.statd
>  >hangs on the  boot.  Haven't even made it to the NFS server portion.

Hmmm...  In rc.network, the execution order is mountd, nfsd,
then rpc.statd.  Are you starting rpc.statd from another
source?

I use the configuration you describe on a server and have no
problems.  In addition to ipfw, you might want to install
tcp_wrappers to assist with security/connection logging.

Gene Harris