Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:45:33 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem loading 2.x kernel with new bootblocks

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
>> The kernel has been built with gcc-2.8.1 -O2.
>
>Please rebuild with the system compiler and -O at most.

It makes no difference.  The kernel loads and runs happily from the
old bootloader, but crashes with /boot/loader.  (I disabled my
gcc-2.8.1, changed make.conf to -O, re-ran config; make depend; make;
make install).

Something that `fell off' my previous posting (it was implied in the
context of my original posting):

Both disks have Booteasy installed.  wd0 has the old bootblocks
(from 2.2.6-RELEASE) and FreeBSD 2.x installed on slice 2.  wd2
has the new bootblocks and 3.0-current built from CTM 'cvs-cur 4996'
occupying all of slice 1 (which is all of the disk).

The boot sequences are:
disk0 booteasy offers: W95, FreeBSD, Disk1:
- select FreeBSD and 2.x boots successfully
- select `disk1' and the disk1 booteasy offers: BSD, disk0

Select BSD and the new /boot/loader comes up.  If I let it continue, I
wind up with the 3.0 (customised, ELF) kernel booting successfully.

If I abort /boot/loader's autostart (giving me a prompt), then (as per
Peter Wemm's elfday tutorial) issue the commands:
  set currdev=disk1s2a
  load /kernel
  boot -s
the system displays garbage on the screen and doesn't respond to anything
gentler than the reset button.

If I load the GENERIC 2.2.6-RELEASE kernel, ("load /kernel.GENERIC" above)
then it works.

Any suggestions as to my next step?

Peter