Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 21:57:12 -0600
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howard@leadmon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with NFSd under 6.1-Stable, any ideas?

Howard Leadmon wrote:
> Would this just be lockd, or should I disable both lockd and statd?  I notice
> in the rc.conf it claims they are both supposed to be enabled, so not sure
> what issues I run into if I disable them, if any.

No need to disable rpc.statd though I don't know if any other programs
request monitoring.  The issues you'll run into is simply a lack of any
locks on the mounted drive.  This can easily lead to file corruption if
multiple programs or multiple instances of a single program change the
same file at the same time.  Many programs will use NFS-safe lockfiles
if configure to do so, which is often a useable workaround in a
lockd-free world.  If you're only using the files read-only, or only a
single process uses files on the mount at a time (on *all* systems) then
there's no issue at all.