Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:41:49 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Stephane Raimbault <segr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RELEASE: SMP: system clock has died

In the last episode (Jan 08), Stephane Raimbault said:
> I have an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard with dual P2 400MHz CPU's.  I have
> compiled the SMP kernel and noticed that something is not right.  In
> "top" the CPU values indicate 0% across the board, even idle!

I get this occasionally on one of my Dell servers after about a week of
uptime.  Manually stepping the time using ntpdate -b (forcing the
kernel to reset the RTC in the process) fixes it for me.  If your RTC
is nonfunctional from boot you may not have the same problem, though.
Also try installing a newer BIOS, since I see

> ACPI disabled by blacklist.  Contact your BIOS vendor.

in your dmesg output.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com