Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org

>Number:         31194
>Category:       advocacy
>Synopsis:       freebsd.org mailing lists - configuration problem?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious

The symptom is that the message is rejected with a transitional error of:

Helo command rejected; host not found and with an error code of 450 (I think)

After a lot of investigation I determined what is probably the problem:

My ISP's SMTP server, through which I relay, does not use its FQDN when issuing a HELO, rather it only uses its hostname. Eg it says

HELO foo

instead of

HELO foo.bar.com

The freebsd.org end (probably hub.freebsd.org) probably wants to reverse-resolve the name given in the HELO and fails since there is no host "foo" on the Internet. I would like to note that this is the first time that this configuration has caused any problems when sending mail to anywhere.

While it may be argued that this may be part of an anti-spam policy on the freebsd.org side, I think that overly restricting access to freebsd.org's resources is not a good way of encouraging contributions to FreeBSD.

Hence the filing under the advocacy category.
>How-To-Repeat:

Watch the transitory error messages come back for a few a days until your SMTP server gives up and the message fails.
>Fix:
Relax the checks that are made before accepting a message for the mailing lists.

Also, leaving a message in limbo for several days is not exactly a great idea when you know that you won't accept it ever.