Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:58:25 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mike Nowlin" <mike@argos.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NAT & IRC

> I'm running a lot of DHCP clients (issued 10.0.0.0/8 addrs) through a FBSD
> NATD proxy.  It's a pretty basic NAT setup - no keepalives, etc.  (That
> might(?) be the answer to my problem?)
>
> Earlier today, I set up x-chat on one of the clients.  It was able to
> connect to irc.openprojects.net without any problems, but when I tried to
> connect to irc.freebsd.org, the server responded with something like
> "Sorry, you must be running ident to connect.."  Understanding the
> reasoning for this, what's the solution?

IRC networks use ident to better track abusers of the IRC network.

What you need to do is run the ident service on any machine that is going to
be running IRC, and add the appropriate firewall rules to allow ident
packets to/from that host.  One point - on a NAT network, I believe it's
only possible for one "inside" client to be running ident, as the port must
be forwarded explicitly.  If you want to enable ident for the entire
network, you could run it on the firewall machine, but that may open up
certain security holes.

--
Matthew Emmerton