Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:53:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bert Kellerman <bertke@iglou.com>
To:        Nicolai Petri <npp@distortion.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-tokenring@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Entering the ring correctly (as the only node)

  have not messed with the driver in FreeBSD but the setup of the
activend standby monitors should be automatic.  The active monitor is important
is that is controls clocking, propagation delays, etc. Most importantly it
removes frames that have circled the ring.  It does this by reading
the monitor bit.   Are you losing functionality or connectivity after
the "no active monitor" error? This might be an informational message and
your node will assume the role of active monitor.  Check out

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/LANs/token-ring-faq/

There is a breakdown here of the Active Monitor contention process.
It appears if no AM is found and the contention process fails, insertion
will fail.. You are inserting succesfully though so again this might be
informational.  Thanks and letme know if this helps cause I need to put
FreeBSD on tokenring soon. :)

Bert