Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:48:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Two FreeBSDs on same disk, booting secondary slice?

On 11-Nov-01 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> I've tried out this question in the newsgroups with no answer,
> maybe some of you will know the answer.
> My work laptop (an IBM ThinkPad X20) has serveral OS'es
> installed. I have Win2K, Mandrake Linux and FreeBSD.
>
> For various reasons, I wish to have 2 FreeBSD installations on
> this disk. FreeBSD 4.3 is installed on slice 3 (ad0s3), and
> FreeBSD 4.4 is installed on slice 4 (ad0s4). (This will have
> FreeBSD-current on it later, for testing purposes).
>
> The problem is, when FreeBSD boots, it automatically takes the
> first FreeBSD slice and boots from that.
> How do I make the boot process automatically boot from the slice
> I've choosen in the boot menu?
> if I interrupt the boot process, I can always set curredev, unload and
> load the kernel, but that isn't good enough.
>
> For info, I'm using LILO as the boot loader, and I specify the correct
> partition ("slice") there, slice 3 is hda3 and slice 4 is hda4. But,
> when the FreeBSD boot loader starts, it still boots the first
> FreeBSD slice. For various reasons, I do not wish to use booteasy,
> if I can avoid it.
>
> I've read all I can about /boot/loader.conf etc., but I can't seem to
> get this to work. Pointers to relevant info?

Use boot0 instead of lilo. :)  boot0 marks whatever slice it boots as active,
and the boot2 and the loader prefer an active FreeBSD slice over other FreeBSD
slices.  I'm assuming that LILO isn't changing the booted slice to be the
active one in the MBR, thus we use the first FreeBSD slice we find since we
have no other way of knowing which one was booted.