Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:02:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Stephen.Byan@quantum.com (Stephen Byan)
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no ('Marius Bendiksen'), fs@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable write caching with softupdates?

It seems Stephen Byan wrote:
> Marius Bendiksen [mailto:mbendiks@eunet.no] wrote:
>
> > > Contrast this 10% performance hit versus what you get when
> > you disable
> > > caching entirely.
> >
> > I think you will see that on some drives, this may have a greater
> > performance impact than not caching at all.
>
> Perhaps Søren will be kind enough to run the experiment? I'd be interested
> in analyzing cases in ATA drives where flushing delivers worse performance
> than disabling cache.

Well, I have been toying a bit with this, so far results are just
timing of a make -j16 buildworld on two IBM DJNA drives (ie no tags)
with varius setups.

ATA driver "as is":
3602.63 real         0.00 user      2865.62 sys

ATA driver with flush cache on "BIO_ORDERED":
3964.18 real         0.00 user      2870.09 sys

ATA driver with write cache disabled:
4423.30 real         0.00 user      2871.87 sys

So, having the write cache there definitly is a win.

I'll try this on TWO IBM DTLA drives with tags enabled and see what gives..

Anything else you want me to mess with now we are at it ?

-Søren