Date:      Thu, 22 May 2014 18:13:13 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/ffmpeg: pkg_add: leave_playpen: can't chdir back to ''

In message <CAN6yY1vziebtF8uEOtiL9xrVrq_RZbkhLySn3QGDUORuqjETJw@mail.gmail.com>
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
><rfg@tristatelogic.com>wrote:
>> share/doc/ffmpeg/swscale.txt: Could not unlink
>> share/doc/ffmpeg/tablegen.txt: Could not unlink
>> share/doc/ffmpeg/viterbi.txt: Could not unlink
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>> pkg_add: leave_playpen: can't chdir back to ''
>> *** [install-package] Error code 2
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg.
>> *** [install] Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg.
>>

>The list of "Could not unlink" messages smell like some sort of permissions
>problem.

Nevermind.

Apparently, there was a _file_... please note... a _file_ (not a directory)
on my system with the name /usr/local/share/doc/ffmpeg and this was
apparently causing all the problems.

I removed it and now the install completes without error.

I myseld never intentionally created that file, and I feel that it must
have been a left-over of some kind of some prior install of ffmpeg...
perhaps from long ago.

The file itself was apparently a text file, 7 bytes long, containing only
the following text:

0.7.15

I say again that I personally have no recollection of *ever* having
intentionally created any such file.

I humbly suggest that install scripts should avoid making assumptions
about the presence of absence of some particular type of thing within
the file system unless the scripts in question have themselves made all
necessary arrangements beforehand to create said filesystem objects
(and using "rm -f" where necessary, in order to reliably clear the way
for any such creations).