Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:12:22 +0100
From:      Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QOS with ATM

Why don't you put this stuff in RELENG_4 and make me
a happy camper :)

I really need max_cpr (like under Linux)
Did you look at the Linux ATM ?

Oh and yes, please write a short HOW-TO for
ATM + Netgraph, because I have extreme diffculties
understand Netgraph (I am a bit slow understanding things :))

Anyway I am clearly looking forward for this NEW HARP ATM
stuff to be integrated under RELENG soon :)

In the meanwhile I will be forced to use Linux if nothing else

But I do have EN155PCI cards (6 of them :)) in order to test
the NEW HARP you made if you need me too

and 1 PCA200E left ( however it is a single mode fiber and my ENI155
are Multimode and I have no converter) I can manage to get this Dual
CPU machine to work without freezing under FreeBSD (see previous
Email)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:57:27 +0100 (CET)
Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Christophe [ISO-8859-1] Pr_votaux wrote:
>
> CP>I just noticed it is possible under Linux to use QOS
> CP>with ATM ( like to specify forward bandwidth and backward
> CP>bandwidth ) why is it not possible under FreeBSD ?
>
> It depends on what you mean with 'use'. As far as I know the HARP
> signalling stacks supports all the QoS stuff, the supported hardware,
> however, doesn't. PCA200E cards support only UBR + a maximum of 1 CBR
> channel. FORE HE cards on the other hand are fine: they support up to 4k
> of CBR/ABR/UBR connections, but there is no HARP driver for them.
>
> CP>It seems ATM support is lagging behind under FreeBSD
> CP>or did I miss something ?
>
> Well, I have a completly new ATM stack, implemented in netgraph that
> supports both Fore cards. You can use whatever QoS you need and the cards
> supports, with the native API. My LAN emulation does not (yet) support
> QoS, and CLIP is not yet ready (and I won't be able to fix it in the next
> couple of months).
>
> harti
> --
> harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
>               brandt@fokus.fhg.de

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center