Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:07:07 +0100
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loopback mounts

--=-8y9KqugzwFh8MvttjcxK

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 08:53 -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 09:29:04AM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> > It is currently not possible to list loopback NFS mounts in /etc/fstab
> > without noauto, because mountcritremote runs before mountd has
> > started; mountd depends on nfsserver, rpcbind and quota, which all
> > depend on mountcritremote (presumably because nfsd, rpcbind and
> > quotaon all reside in /usr/sbin, which might be on a remote file
> > system)
> >=20
> > The file systems which I mount over loopback NFS are not critical, and
> > can safely be mounted later in the boot process, but we don't have a
> > "mountnoncrit" script, or any way to indicate in fstab that a file
> > system is non-critical.
>=20
> In many ways a mountnoncrit would be the best solution, but that
> would would require some significant work since we'd probably need to
> add an extra fields to fstab (though it might be feasible to have
> a list of critical file systems and try to mount them explicitly
> instead).  A small bit of additional care would be needed to insure that
> early_late_divider was set correctly in either case.

Yeah, pondered adding a mountlatelocal script and a 'late' option to
mount/fstab when i was working on mdconfig{,2} script. I figured it was
easier to handle fsck/mount in those scripts in the end (because I
couldn't see any other consumer for such a script).

In that case, that seems a good choice.

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org