Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 17:10:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Manuel Bouyer: update of atapi driver

I would like to campaign for adopting the NetBSD ATAPI driver and
throwing ours away.  This doesn't come down to any technical
comparison between the two, simply the fact that NetBSD's driver
appears to be far more actively maintained.  The 5 or 6 bug reports
and generate "status?  help?" queries I've sent to Serge Vakulenko,
<vak@cronyx.ru> since 2.1 was released have gone completely
unanswered, and I can only conclude that he's abandoned it.

This is bad, since it needs a lot more work and ATAPI CDROM is
probably one of the most popular types at this point.  I would far
prefer to start over with a driver that looks like it's actually going
to be supported if nobody cares to step in and fill the shoes that
Serge has vacated and support our own!

Comments?

						Jordan