Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:11:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Cdcontrol not working

compile AHC_SCBPAGE_ENABLE out of your kernel and it will at least
keep the machine from wedging while this happens.  I usually get these
from my tape drive, but I can make the cdrom do it sometimes too.
Happens in both -current and -stable.

st0(ahc0:1:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0 SEQADDR = 0x4 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
st0(ahc0:1:0): Queueing an Abort SCB
st0(ahc0:1:0): Abort Message Sent
st0(ahc0:1:0): SCB 0 - Abort Completed.
st0(ahc0:1:0): no longer in timeout

compiling out ALL the AHC_* options from your kernel will reduce
performance noticeably, but will add stability.

also, 2940 are super super super sensitive to termination.  I'm sure
you've checked that already, but check it again just to be sure :)

-j