Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:31:13 -0500
From:      Jeff Wirth <jeff.wirth@gmail.com>
To:        John Public <jhnpublic@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: su command problem

<jhnpublic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick reply.  In answer to your query,

NP

> yes, I installed mysql 4.1 from ports, and it works
> just fine if I start it using mysqld_safe.  However,
> if  I attempt to run it from
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh, the same behavior
> occurs.  My reasoning for thinking it is a problem w/
> the su command is as follows:
>
> su -m mysql -c date

first, I don't think the 'mysql' binary even has a '-c' option.

If I'm following you here, you modify the default startup script
(/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh) to run `su -m mysql -c date`.
Instead of the default (w/flags):

/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=${mysql_user}
--datadir=${mysql_dbdir} --bind-address=${bind_address}
--pid-file=${pidfile} > /dev/null &

why?

> When I got to digging around in the rc system while I
> was having the same problem w/ nagios, I discovered
> that it is using the su command.  Hope this makes
> sense.  Once again, thanks for your input and any
> further insight would be appreciated.

I would take a look at the default mysql startup script and compare it
to what you currently have in place.
(/path/to/ports/database/mysql41-server/files/mysql-server.sh)

-jw