Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 15:07:03 -0700
From:      Josh Homan <josh@cse.ucsc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel STL2 and/or 3ware Escalade 6x00 experiences?

Hello all,

I'm looking at building a NAS type box for a mostly Solaris environment,
but it needs to be done on the cheap. FreeBSD is my preferred OS
currently, and it's a fine server OS for Intel hardware, so I'm planning
on using it. My current spec sheet for this animal includes the
following:

Intel STL2 mobo
2 x Intel Pentium III 1GHz
2 x 512MB PC133 CL2 Registered ECC DIMMs
3Ware Escalade 6800
8 x IBM Deskstar 75GXP 75GB drives (UATA/100 model)
  Model #07N4777
Intel SC5000 chassis w/ dual redundant 350W power
IBM Ultrastar 73LZX 18.35GB 10k U160 SCSI hard drive (system drive)

I've used most of the components before, but not the Escalade or STL2.
The STL2 makes me a little nervous, because it has so much integrated,
but it looks like good, server-type stuff (fxp ethernet, ATI Rage IIc
w/4MB separate video memory, U160 SCSI based on the Adaptec AIC-7899).
I'm hoping someone has salient comments about the combo of the STL2 and
Escalade 6800 combination, but I'm willing to hear experiences with each
individually.

Also, I'm not convinced the SC5000 is the best case for my needs (it's
designed with 2-5 bay hotswap LVD SCSI racks, and I'd probably wind up
throwing away the backplanes and sticking the IDE disks there). If
anyone knows of a good chassis that's dual redundant power supply
capable and can hold a total of 9 3.5" disks and a 5.25" HH drive, I'd
like to hear experiences there as well.

Thanks,

Josh Homan
josh@cse.ucsc.edu