Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:07:08 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Niels Heinen <niels@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Perl port question

--------------enigB234914236632E2A10178C7F

Niels Heinen wrote:

> I'm working on a perl port that depends on perl 5.8. It will
> not works with an older version.
>
> Is there any recommended way to make sure the user uses this perl
> version ?
>
> I can use PERL_LEVEL to check the version but what if
> the user installed the perl port and didn't do a 'use.perl'...

The usual idiom is something like this:

.if ${PERL_LEVEL} < 500601
IGNORE=         Port requires perl 5.6.x or (preferably) later.  Install
lang/perl5.8 and try again
.endif

On 4.x, if the user hasn't done a 'use.perl port' then PERL_LEVEL will
be 500503.

Under 5.x, use.perl will be run automatically when the perl port is
installed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd