Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:20:38 -0800
From:      Jeff <anon1@santaba.com>
To:        Thomas Foster <tbonius@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPMI doesn't work...

Thomas Foster wrote:

> How are you attempting to manage the server.. via a command line or
> terminal emulation software directly to the BMC?  What amangement
> software ships with the IBM?  Once the kernel loads, you need to
> perform SOL (serial redirection over LAN), or use management software
> the speaks directly with the BMC..
>
> Just curious a little bit more about your setup

We've only used command line tools which speak directly to the BMC.  The
strange thing with these boxes is the network card is also used by the
BMC.  You configure (via the bios) a BMC IP address which is different
from what the NIC is assigned via the OS.  Like I said earlier, we're
able to query/control the chassis just fine when the box is powered off
or when it's booting, but as soon as the kernel loads, we lose control
and simply no longer get any response from the BMC.  This is  not he
case with the linux distros we've tried, so I'm guessing it's somehow to
do with the NIC driver that BSD is loading...

jeff