Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:19:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 MB RAM? (long)

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 30 December 1999 at  4:43:05 +0100, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> > "All versions of FreeBSD, including 3.0, will RUN in 4MB of ram, they
> > just can't run the installation program in 4MB. You can add extra
> > memory for the install process, if you like, and then after the system
> > is up and running, go back to 4MB. Or you could always just swap your
> > disk into a system which has >4MB, install onto it and then swap it
> > back."  Thus the FAQ.
> >
> > I was planning to do this (put drive in other system)  for an old 486
> > laptop with 4MB, which isn't really worth the plus $50-100 they charge
> > for a RAM-card to upgrade.
> > I tried whether it worked on a desktop first. I installed a 4.0
> > snapshot on a 486DX66 with 8MB, which went fine, and
> > then took 4 MB out. No go with the generic kernel, but well that's in
> > the FAQ also. It does run with a custom kernel... for a while. The
> > machine sort of stops responding when the daily checks are being done.
> > Drives keep running and running.
>
> What do you mean by that?  That there is constant access?

I mean that both drives are spinning, making sound. As I have swap on
just one of them, it is not just swapping. Whether there is really
access I cannot tell. The box does not answer me :-)

> > It spits out one message:
> >
> > sendmail[889]: CAA00843: SYSERR(root): timeout writing message to local.
>
> Is that really the message?  That doesn't make much sense.

Thanks! It didn't to me either. I think I copied it faithfully.

> > This is at 02:51 hours, 51 minutes after the checks start. I
> > waited for another couple of hours. No change. So I did a cold reboot,
> > even though the machine wasn't completely dead: the screensaver was
> > still moving. And it started moving again after stopping it by hitting
> > a key. Moving from one virtual console to another also still worked.
> > But that's it.
>
> Sounds like extreme memory starvation.  Technically, there's nothing
> to say that the machine isn't running, just that the performance is so
> bad that you can hardly distinguish it from a hang.

That was my original idea. But after 4 hours I wanted to get some
sleep and imagined the drives would not be happy, especially since
they are rather old, if I let them running for another 8 hours. (And
by the way: there are no problems after switching the thing off. It
says not properly dismounted, but reports no problems with the drives.
I've done it four or five times now.)

> > To test the thing I let the box run rc5des, which runs at nice 20 by
> > default and does take only 800K RAM. I also tried running without
> > sendmail. Questions I have:
> >
> > 1. Anyone with more success? What is the > secret? Kill the daily's?
>
> That would be a good idea, anyway.

OK. I'll try that. The only report I get is the security one in
the mail. Apparently the other one doesn't finish at all.
Thank you.

> > 2. Will an older version do better on 4 MB?
>
> Probably.  You could also check your kernel and remove everything you
> don't absolutely need, assuming you haven't done so already.

Kernel is now 1505688.
I threw out most I don't need, like all hardware drivers, ppp, slip,
ISO and DOS file systems and the like. I will squeeze out more, as I
don't need the serial ports and probably a few other things. I'll have
to check a few things I have no idea about as to what they are :-)

> > I do know about 2.1.7.1. But I do need PCMCIA-support for a ed0
> > card.  I managed to install 2.1.7 through plip some time ago without
> > taking the harddisk out. But couldn't find a way to get the network
> > card running.
>
> Well, there's still 3.4.  That might be significantly smaller than
> 4.0.

I will give 3.4 (or 3.3 which I have on CD) a try if the rest fails.
This isn't that easy, as I have no other box running that at the
moment to compile the kernel on. Though I can try that through NFS and
with the other 4 MB plugged in for the occasion on the box itself.

> And you do have enough swap space, don't you?  If you run low on
> swap on a machine like that, things will go to hell.

There is 24 MB of swap. I have looked at top a number of times and
there was only little of it used. Maybe the daily checks take a lot of
it? I will throw them out first and see what happens.

> Greg
> --

Many thanks for your help!

Marc

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  2:56pm  up  17 days,  15:08,  load average: 2.38 2.24 2.09