Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 02:53:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Luke <lh@aus.org>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Opinions on IDE Hard Drives

> Reading several FreeBSD mailing lists gives me the impression
> that at least some people think IDE drives are just fine for your
> average user. However, although I have seen specific brands of
> SCSI drives discussed, I don't recall seeing recommendations on
> IDE hard drives; hence the purpose of this posting is to solicit
> your opinions on reliable, fast ide hard drives. With Christmas
> on the horizon, I just may be able to score some new hardware.

        I have SCSI and IDE , and SCSI I like more overall, but there is a
dramatic price difference , and despite many troubles with IDE chipsets on
motherboards, my normal-rpm Quantum fireball averages 8-10MBytes/second using
the iozone port [with file sizes from 70-200MB]. Its also incredibly quiet :)
I have several seagate IDEs, 'medalist' and 'decath-something' and some old
420/540 ones, some of the 420s are quite old and have always been in 24hr/day
machines, and they still run. they arent loud, but louder than the quantum.
I have had 3 maxtor HDs, although none newer , 2 540 ATA-2 PIO 3 ones, and 1
old @200 one. They all work ok, except 1 of the 540s is incredibly loud, and
they are all quite loud, but they arent exactly newer models.

        I think SCSI is better, but my SCSI machine has a 1542 ISA , and
everytime I think of getting a 2940UW [which I think would be faster than
UDMA-EIDE?] , I realize the card itself could get me another 10MBs 5-8Gb IDE
drive.

---

E-Mail: Luke <lh@aus.org>
Sent by XFMail