Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:50:29 -0800
From:      Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@gmail.com>
To:        Jaron Parsons <jparsons@sutv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base compatibility issue? Counter-Strike

> I came across a post you made regarding the following erros on the CS source
> with freebsd 4.9
>
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> cat: hlds.12893.pid: No such file or directory
>
> Deprecated bfd_read called at
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dwarf2read.c
> line 3049 in dwarf2_read_section
>
> Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
>
> /lib/libm.so.6: No such file or directory.
>
> debug.cmds:1: Error in sourced command file:
>
> email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.com
>
> Did you ever figure out a resolu8tion to the problem or is the only fix to
> upgrade to 5.3 ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

First, make sure you are using linux_compat8 not 7.  If that alone
works, then wonderful.  If not, then the next part depends on what
processor you have.  If you can support MMX/SSE, the enable SSE in
your kernel (off by default in 4.x I believe) and try again.

When CS:S first came out, I had to do the SSE/compat8 thing to get it
working on an Athlon XP box under 4.x, my Athlon XP box that was
running 5.x had no problem once I install compat.  For a long time, I
couldn't run it on my test server (K6-2 350, no SSE possible), but
sometime recently Valve must have fixed it to use old CPUs as well as
it did work the last time I tried.

Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't.