Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 09:35:15 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   csh permission denied on login

I've started getting some strange messages when myself and other users login to the system:

csh: Permission denied: Permission denied
csh: Trying to start from "/home/njensen"
csh: Trying to start from "/"
%

I can't even cd to my home directory - I get permission denied.

The passwd entry is fairly straightforward:
njensen:*:1000:1000:Neil Carl Jensen:/home/njensen:/bin/csh

and the listing for /bin/csh is:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  237568 Jul 16 19:14 /bin/csh.

If I login is as root I can see that the permissions for the directories are
ok.

I'm running 2.1.5R.

I posted a question yesterday re. Apache 'losing' files that were in user directories -
perhaps this is related?

Does anyone have clues as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Jensen
Habanero Studios Ltd.
Vancouver, Canada