Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:35:29 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Steve Brown <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I tell Netscape I have flash?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:02:34AM +0000, Steve Brown wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Ok, I've got Communicator 4.78 and the flash plugin installed from ports,
> no errors (make && make install distclean)
>

> $ pkg_info | grep flash
> linux-flashplugin-5.0r47 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux
> Netscape
> $ pkg_info | grep comm
> linux-netscape-communicator-4.78 Linux Netscape Communicator suite
> netscape-remote-1.0_1 Utility to pass commands to running netscape
> process
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD prayforwind.com 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #1: Tue Nov  6
> 15:17:12 EST 2001     myhost.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386
> $
>
> When I go to a flash site I get told "please download the flash plugin...
> etc etc". So how do I tell Netscape that I really do have it?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks (I hope I'm asking in the right
> group.

	Hi Steve,

	I spend a large chunk of last Saturday getting my fingers
	dirty with these plugins.  The realaudio does work; but trying
	to download and install the v5.0 Shockwave from Macromedia
	proved a fraud.  When I typed "about:plugins" in the
	``Location:'' window, Netscape said that I had only v4.0 of
	their free Linux version.

	(I just installed the www/linux-flashplugin port ( # make install
	clean) and it seems to be the valid v5.0PL47, but I haven't
	tested it yet.)

	Rather than fight a losing battle with closed-source,
	proprietary software, I've slowly been switching over to
	mozilla.  I think we've got mozilla plugins that should work
	natively with FreeBSD.

	...I'd like to hear from other hackers (or even just savvy
	users) about plugins ... and related stuff.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix