Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:40:19 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        Rein Kadastik <wigry@uninet.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.conf - setting interface UP without IP-address?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:41:45PM +0300, Rein Kadastik wrote:
> Excuse me for a silly question, but what the hell is UP? I know, what is
> IP, I know how ifconfig works, but wtf is UP?

UP is the state of the interface. You can set an IF up/down to
enable/disable the IF. Current state of an interface can be seen with
ifconfig, e.g.

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                 ^^

Normally an interface is automatically taken up when you give it an
IP-address.

-ewald