Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:06:02 -0500
From:      "N. Thomas" <nthomas@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   American programmers (was SPAM Re: Software Outsourcing From India)

* Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com> [2002-03-25]:

> > > Stay in your own country and stop taking jobs from American
> > > Programmers.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing your refreshing view. I thought this was an
> > international mailing list.
>
> Yes it is an international mailing list for help and questions on freebsd.
> It is not a mailing list to try and take jobs away from American
> programmers. Right now there are no jobs for programmers is the usa
> because a ton of the jobs have been taken by h1-b visa people. You
> understand?

The original poster should have never spammed the list -- but I think you
should know that programmers from other countries don't simply come over and
"take jobs away" from American programmers.

CEOs and managers of American software companies are largely to fault for
this, they know that foreign programmers are *much* cheaper than their
American counterparts and so they beg Congress for more visas, etc. In the
early 90's they even went so far as to claim a programmer shortage...see
this paper for more info on that:

   Debunking the Myth of a Desperate Software Labor Shortage

   http://home.sch.bme.hu/~bartoki/misc/devshortage/DeveloperShortageHypeReviewed.html

Bottom line, you can't blame programmers from other countries for wanting to
come here when people here are egging them to come over.

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu